The Garajonay National Park is unquestionably one of the most important natural attractions on our island. This natural monument, which was declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco, covers almost 4,000 hectares and occupies over 10% of La Gomera’s full territory.
The laurel forests are a true open-air museum to be enjoyed at every step, both through its paths, and its spectacular viewpoints. There are 18 trails that run through the park, perfectly signposted with their different difficulty and level. Some trails also have viewpoints with unforgettable views and landscapes.
Visiting the Garajonay National Park will be like entering a fairy tale, most of the trails are of medium or low difficulty so they are perfect to enjoy with the family. These are some of the best excursions to do with children:
- Lourdes Hermitage Route. This is a 40 minutes’ easy hike. It crosses an area of mature laurel forest that leads to the small chapel of Lourdes where the Cedro stream flows, which is the most abundant in the whole Garajonay.
- Circular Route Laguna Grande I. This is a circular route, only 1 km long, which is recommended for all ages. Here you can discover the firetree and heath forest and a viewpoint from which you can view the fortress of Cherelipi, a volcanic dome covered with vegetation.
- Las Creces Route. Although a little longer than the previous ones, this is also an easy hike and allows to cross an ancient firetree and heath forest, highlighting the tapestries of the canary geranium. The area has a small recreational area.
- Circular Route Contadero- Alto Garajonay- Contadero. This walk leads to the highest point of Garajonay. Here you can see several archaeological sites, it being one of the main ceremonial and religious centres of the ancient La Gomera inhabitants. During the course of this route, you can enjoy spectacular views of La Gomera, and of the neighbouring islands.
- Raso de la Bruma- Risquillos de Corgo- Raso de la Bruma Route. Moderate hike goes through a laurel forest where the abundance of hanging mosses and ferns covering the ground make it a dream place. We recommended visiting it on foggy days to enjoy all its charm.
The days you spend in La Gomera will be unforgettable for the whole family.
We will be waiting for you at Hotel Jardín Tecina to be part of a unique experience.