Any time of year is a good time to visit our wonderful islands, but travelling to the Canary Islands in December is an added attraction for visitors for one key reason, its weather.
The weather in December in the Canary Islands
Enjoying the best weather with temperatures around 22 degrees even in winter is a plus for all our visitors. Although wind and rainy days may be more frequent than in summer, the weather in the Canary Islands in December is spring-like. Temperatures range between 16 and 21 degrees.
In the case of La Gomera, the month of December allows you to discover its more than 600 km of trails through the Garajonay National Park.
Recommended places for a getaway
If you are visiting the Canary Islands as a getaway in December there are many places to visit that will make you fall in love with our islands. If you travel to La Gomera and you are a nature lover, here are the top 5 places you cannot miss:
- Garajonay National Park. As we were saying, if there is one thing that characterises our island, it’s its nature. There are countless natural monuments to visit, such as the Garajonay National Park, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and the best example of the laurel forest in perfect condition. You will be able to walk along its paths, and through the different viewpoints, you will discover landscapes that are difficult to forget.
- Natural Monument Los Roques. The Garajonay National Park includes the Natural Monument Los Roques, which is composed of the rocks named Agando, Ojila, La Zarcita and Carmona. It is an enclave of great scientific interest because it is home to singular natural elements that have great landscape value and enormous significance for the island. These are a series of "menhirs" of volcanic origin sculpted naturally by erosion.
- Chipude Fortress. Located in the village that gives it its name, the Chipude Fortress is a volcanic dome resulting from differential erosion that once exposed the hardest materials of an ancient volcano. Given to its location and characteristics, it has been a place of reference for the people of La Gomera since aboriginal times, it is also home to many species of great natural interest. This majestic mountain has a flat plateau shape, like a medieval fortress, with steep slopes on all its edges.
- Natural pools of Hermigua. This is another of the natural treasures of La Gomera that you can visit during your getaway to our island in December. It consists of 4 columns about 30 meters long of an old davit, built in the early twentieth century to export bananas and tomatoes. A saltwater pool where you can take a relaxing bath with the immensity of the Atlantic at your feet.
- Natural Monument Los Órganos. Accessible only by sea, this jewel of natural architecture astonishes all those who are in front of it. A cliff of volcanic rocks whose cooling and erosion have given it the silhouette of an organ. It consists of 200 meters wide times 80 meters high of huge prismatic basalt columns that go down a cliff to the sea and continue below it.
The magic of La Gomera and its eternal spring awaits you to accompany you and make your experience unforgettable at Hotel Jardín Tecina.